Livestock Gross Margin for Hogs Premium Estimator
The CARD Livestock Gross Margin for Hogs (LGM-Cattle) Premium Estimator allows users to estimate LGM-Hogs premiums based on the latest information from the lean hog, corn, and soybean meal futures. The LGM-Hogs insurance product allows hog producers to insure the difference between hog revenues and input costs (this difference is referred to as gross margin).
- Begin by choosing a Deductible level: $0 to $20 (by $2 increments) of expected gross margins.
- Next, choose a Type: Finishing, Farrow-to-Finish, or SEW.
- Choose the State in which your hog operation resides.
- Fill in the expected number of hogs marketed in each month shown below.
- Finally, click the "Estimate Premiums" button.
This Web page is intended to assist producers, crop insurance agents, and other interested parties in estimating LGM premiums. This Web page is not the official source for LGM premiums. Please contact your crop insurance agent for official premium quotations.
For more information on LGM, see the Risk Management Agency's livestock insurance Web site.
Additional information from CARD: "Implications of Extending Crop Insurance to Livestock" by B.A. Babcock; "Livestock Revenue Insurance" by C.E. Hart, B.A. Babcock, and D.J. Hayes.